Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Busy in Love


Today was crazy busy, partly with Max, and meeting my former co-workers for a birthday lunch downtown, picking Faith up from school, and making dinner. Mixed in was going on a walk with Max and Taylor, doing laundry, and washing diapers.

It was the boring kind of busy, mostly, but busy, and I don't have a coherent thought for you here.

But, I do have a favor to ask any of my friends who are experts at cloth diapering. I purchased 10 EcoAble diapers, which I really love, but I wanted to check with the experts about washing. I usually run the messy ones through a warm rinse cycle, followed by a warm wash and extra rinse (if poopy diapers are mixed in, I use detergent for the first and second wash -- Tide Free), followed by a hot wash/cold rinse and extra rinse, also with detergent. I want to make sure I'm not over washing, but I want to make sure they are really clean. I usually wash them every day.

In exchange for your advice, I'm sharing a photo of my little dumpling with his Godfather, my youngest son, Noah. (If you're on FB, you've already seen this probably, but I love it so.)


6 comments:

  1. What a cutie, such a beautiful baby! Thanks for the picture, Barbara. So happy for you. I hope you are doing well and the anxiety less...praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy in love! That should be the title of a book, or a song, or something....

    ReplyDelete
  3. in my diapering days, I would rinse out the poopie ones in the toilet before putting them in the diaper bag. On wash day, I would run them on hot water, heavy soil, and an extra rinse. I had enough diapers to run them about every other day. Other than that, I don't remember much, which is probably a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would leave the detergent out of that last bit. Too much detergent will eventually make them start smelling even after cleaning...if that happens they will need to be stripped. I haven't done this in a while, but I think I used to empty the pail into the wash, and then do a rinse to get rid of poop. I didn't rinse poop in the toilet when they were on breast milk only, but I did once they started solids and the poops got stinkier. :) After the rinse, I'd fill with hot water and some all free and clear...like maybe half as much as it calls for you to use in a regular load. Agitate a minute and let soak overnight. Finish the load in the morning and then do an extra rinse. Drying outside in the sun is great for stains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the diaper-laundering advice. The diapers I am using aren't typical white Gerbers. The cover has a bamboo charcoal-colored liner and frequently the mess kind of peels off (TMI?). I put the wipes in a bag and toss them. They also have a white terry booster.They can be seen here: https://www.amazon.com/EcoAble-Diaper-5-pack-inserts-8-25lb/dp/B06XKFW9L4/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1507554962&sr=1-2&keywords=ecoables%2Bcover%2Band%2Bsnap&th=1
    I have an HE washer so I can't soak overnight, but maybe I don't need detergent in both washes. The manufacturer recommends the two washes and I add the first rinse because I don't rinse them in the toilet. I have read about the ammonia smell requiring stripping and I purchased one package of the cleaner required for that So far we haven't run into hat -- yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure there are all kinds of new rules for fancy diapers, but I always swore by a quick rinse in the toilet, and then toss them in the diaper pail (next to the toilet) full of water and dreft. You could pour the whole thing in to the washer and then spin before washing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!